Friday 18 April 2014

Dyed eggs!

On Holy Thursday the Greek Orthodox dye their eggs for Easter.
This year I dyed some in pastel colours and some using silk threads.
Here are my results.
First I bought white eggs from the local food open market.
 I bought a packet of dyed silk threads(one euro) and a packet of liquid egg paints(one euro).

 First you wet the eggs and then lay them in some threads. I tried to make some in certain colours by dividing the threads. But some I made in various colours. Then you wrap the egg and threads in aluminum foil and boil for 20 minutes.
 When I opened them they looked like that. Those I liked I kept, the rest I dyed with the liquid paints too.
 Here's the result.

 And here are the ones I dyed with the liquid egg paints only. Red, orange,green, blue and yellow. My favourite? Yes the blue. I also gave  a try to nail polish dyeing of eggs(the blue and orange one was the only one I made as I wasn't happy with the results.And we really want to eat the eggs.)

I also sketched on some of the eggs.


 And am going to keep my favourite turquoise and purple thread dyed one.
And today we paid a visit to my best friend whose son is my Godson. It is a custom for the Godmother to bring gifts to her Godchild. As my Godson is having a Harry Potter attraction at present I bought him two of the books and made him an Easter candle with a Harry Potter keyring!
We played with their pets.

 As they live out of the city we took the chance to walk a bit around the countryside too!























 And we left with a lovely bouquet of lilacs and wild flowers along with....
 a tsoureki(traditional sweet bread of Easter) and eggs and chocolate eggs.
I would like to wish you all the best for Easter! Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

nikol said...

Τα Πασχαλινά σου αυγα είναι όμορφα αλλά οι εικόνες της φύσης με μάγεψαν .
Καλό Πάσχα και Καλή Ανάσταση

nikiad.blogspot.gr said...

Πανέμορφα τα πασχαλινά αυγά σου , Αριαδνη !!!! Οι φωτογραφίες σου ΥΠΕΡΟΧΕΣ !!!!!!
Kαλή Ανάσταση και Καλό Πάσχα με υγεία !!!!!!!
Νικη

butterfly said...

Those eggs are amazing, Love all your photos just beautiful , hug.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love how the eggs look! That was such a brilliant idea! Happy Easter!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful dyed eggs! I love the different effects. Happy Easter! :D

Κατια Μαρκουϊζου said...

καλη Ανασταση και καλο Πασχα καλως σε βρηκα !!!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic eggs and some wonderful photographs Ariadne! I have put an Easter tree of branches and flowers in a pot on my patio, and will finish putting my eggs on it tomorrow. I'll try to take a photo. I can't compete with your wonderful eggs, but mine are *quite* pretty.

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

the eggs look like a lot of fun

and the walk with you & Renoir in the field of flowers was wonderful

Kaisievic said...

Happy Easter, Ariadne. Thanks for showing us how to dye the eggs. I love the ones with the threads. Such beautiful flowers in the countryside. Spring has really sprung in Greece.

Decor Asylum said...

Υπέροχα βγήκαν τα αυγά σου! Και πολύ όμορφες οι φωτογραφίες! Χρόνια Πολλά & του χρόνου Αριάδνη :)

Mii Stitch said...

I love your eggs, they look fantastic!

Valma said...

fantastic eggs sweetie !
the one with the threads... really incredible !! =)
very beautiful pictures as always
xxx

anikenitet said...

These eggs are a very good and beautifull idea !! And very lovely flowers !! Have a good day !!